Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Dark Chocolate May Be the Secret to Happiness

You might say I've been kind of negative lately. Not that I am usually mistaken for Pollyanna, but lately I haven't even seen the glass. (You know, the one that is supposed to be half empty if you're a pessimist or half full if you're looking on the bright side.)

In fact, I was sorely tempted to write a "Things I Hate" post to counteract all the "Thankful" blogs posts out there. I might write that post at some point, but it needs to be when I'm coming from a more positive place.

To help me in my quest to be more positive, I actually bought a CD called Music to Inspire Positive Thinking. I know, it sounds pretty weird and the cover isn't exactly awe-inspiring, but it is supposed to boost your alpha and beta brainwave activity.


It isn't actually something I'd put on to listen to, but it is great in the background and so far I have enjoyed having it on in the car while I'm thinking or talking.

I've been thinking about what engenders positive thinking in my life and here's what I've come up with:
  1. Writing (I'm going to work on posting more frequently on my blog.)
  2. Reading great writing (Scriptures are top of the list)
  3. Hugs (I've never been a hugger, but I might need to change that)
  4. Reading about inspiring people like Tom Holbrook
  5. Expressing gratitude
  6. Holding babies
  7. Learning something new
  8. Teaching something I love
  9. Giving service
  10. Notes, emails and comments from thoughtful friends
  11. Sisters who bring dark chocolate and yellow tulips and help clean the kitchen
So thanks to all of you who have helped me feel more positive. I agree with Paul who wrote in Romans 1:8:
First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world.
So keep those thankful posts coming! I'd love to hear what helps you keep a positive point of view.

4 comments:

Kim W said...

I love that you're so "real". I don't ever get to see you, so here's a virtual hug! Thank you for your sweetness!

tawnya said...

I, uh, mentally kick at all the thankful posts. I clearly need to take all of this to heart!

The Bradley's said...

I taught the girls a lesson on opptamism a few weeks ago and told them I was a recovering pessimist. Join me won't you we can recover together. It will be fun right.

Melanie said...

Kim - I'm not sure the "real" me is all that loveable, but I do appreciate the hug!

Tawnya - Glad to know I'm in good company.

Emily - Marianne told me that was a great lesson, but she didn't mention the "recovering pessimist" part. Too funny!