Saturday, January 24, 2009

Who is your favorite author?

I realize this is an unfair question. It's a bit like asking, "Who is your favorite child?" or "Who is your best friend?" You may indeed have a "best" friend, but you likely have many friends whom you cherish.

As I pondered this question, I thought about my bookshelves. I have the largest number of books by/about/related to these two authors:


William Shakespeare


C.S. Lewis


These two Englishmen have had a profound impact on me, but by naming them, I feel like I'm playing favorites. So here is a list of other authors whose writing has changed me, shaped my adult life and made me who I am.


Core Canon - word of God.
  • The Bible
  • The Book of Mormon
  • The Doctrine and Covenants
  • The Pearl of Great Price
  • Writings of modern prophets of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Personal/Spiritual
  • Arbinger Institute - The Anatomy of Peace, Leadership & Self Deception
  • Frederick Babel - To Him The Believeth
  • Stephen Covey - The Divine Center, 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, The 8th Habit
  • Sheri Dew - No One Can Take Your Place, God Wants A Powerful People
  • Colleen Harrison - He Did Deliver Me From Bondage
  • Gordon B. Hinckley - Standing for Something
  • David Noebel - Understanding the Times
  • Barlow Packer - The Soft Reply
  • Ester Rasband - Confronting the Myth of Self Esteem
  • Cleon Skousen - 5,000 Year Leap
  • Corrie ten Boom - The Hiding Place, Tramp for the Lord
  • Alexis de Tocqueville - Democracy in America
  • Karol Truman - Feelings Buried Alive Never Die

Education
  • Mortimer Adler - How to Read a Book
  • Jacques Barzun - Teacher in America, On Writing, Editing and Publishing
  • Allan Bloom - Closing of the American Mind
  • Marilyn Burns - Math: Facing An American Phobia
  • Oliver DeMille - A Thomas Jefferson Education
  • John Taylor Gatto - The Underground History of Education
  • William Glasser- The Quality School
  • Kathleen Harward - Market Based Education
  • Helen Keller - The Story of My Life
  • Tetsuko Kuroyanagi - Totto-Chan
  • Jane Claire Lambert - Five in A Row, Vol 1 -4
  • Aneladee Milne - The New Commonwealth School
  • Shinichi Suzuki - Nurtured by Love
  • George Turnbull - Observations Upon Liberal Education

Classic Literature
  • Charlotte Bronte - Jane Eyre
  • Ralph Waldo Emerson - Essays and Poems
  • Victor Hugo - Les Miserables
  • Harper Lee - To Kill A Mockingbird
  • LM Montgomery - Anne of Green Gables series
  • Patricia Polacco - The Bee Tree, Thank You Mr. Falker & others
  • Chaim Potok - The Chosen
  • Harriet Beecher Stowe - Uncle Tom's Cabin
  • Henry David Thoreau - Walden
  • Laura Ingalls Wilder - Little House on the Prairie series
Whew! That was a pretty long post just to answer the question, "Who is Your Favorite Author?" Do you think I cheated by listing 40 of them?

5 comments:

tawnya said...

Fitzgerald. Hands down, without a doubt. I LOVE Fitzgerald.

The second tier of love, however, would be much harder to list!

Kim W said...

That's funny. When I was reading your title, I was honestly thinking, "how do you pick just one". I'm glad you listed all those books. Especially the education ones. I think I'll be taking a look at some of those. Really, Twilight isn't on your favorite list?! ha! JK!

Holly said...

What about modern literature? Two authors whose writings I admire are Margaret Atwood and Barbara Kingsolver.

J-Hart said...

Dear Mother,

Your posts make you sound like a nerd.

Love,
J. Ryan

Annalisa said...

That's a tricky question...I'll think about it.