Thursday, September 11, 2008

Not a stalker, just quirky!

My friend Shonda tagged me with the "Quirky Things About Me Meme"
I'm not usually into tags, but since I already shared some of my quirkiness in my stalker mom post, I might as well continue the trend. Here are 6 of my unspectacular quirks.

1. I love books and I love getting them for the absolute lowest price possible. I always check several sources (ebay, amazon etc), but paperbackswap is my favorite because I can get books for FREE! I've mailed 211 free books and received 219 free books in the past 2 1/2 years. And remember, that doesn't count any of the the books I actually paid for!

2. My family laughs at me because I often ask "Did we have the prayer?" just a few minutes after we had one. They accuse me of short term memory loss, but I think it's because my kids like to speed through 15 second prayers and it just doesn't stick with me. Of course no one ever forgets my prayers--the kids say they're too long.

3. I often replay conversations in my mind. Unfortunately the facial expressions and hand gestures are not in my mind so I look a little crazy. This is something else my family laughs at.

4. I like to compose emails & pray (not at the same time) while I'm in the shower. And my husband wonders why I take so long in there.

5. I love words and definitions. My 1828 Webster's Dictionary is one of my favorite books. In case you don't have one, here's an online version. As long as we're on the subject: I have no idea why this is called a meme. I'm not even sure how it's pronounced. Is it "meem" (rhymes with dream) or "me me" (like I'm raising my hand)? (Yes, I know I can google it, and I actually did. But I would really like to hear your definition & how you pronounce it. So please leave me a comment!)

6. I like to get my point across and so I end up doing things like using too many exclamation points or repeating myself for emphasis. Then I wish I hadn't because it sounds dumb. In the same vein, I often ask people to repeat things because I'm so focused on something else that I missed what they said.

Bonus quirk:
7. I really like to follow the rules. I don't like to jaywalk and I once refused to watch my brothers' pet bird for the weekend because our apartment didn't allow pets.

So here are the meme rules:
Link back to the person who tagged you.
Shonda listed some great quirks that I think are much more interesting than mine!

List the rules on your blog. Done!

Tell about 6 unspectacular quirks of your own. Done!

Tag 6 bloggers to complete the meme.
That seems like a lot! Do you usually have to tag that many people? I guess I'd better follow the rules! I will make this a family tag. I tag Jenny, Heather, LaRae , Dawnae, Janae & Kristin

4 comments:

Jenny said...

1, 4, & 5 are not quirky at all. Those are all things I do too.

I also didn't include the fact that I research everything (including memes) on google and wikipedia. That's not quirky either, is it? I thought everyone does that.

Bryn said...

I was wondering about meme and if it really was a word or just a typo. So what's the final conclusion?

ferntyler said...

ok, if i had to guess on "meme" I would say it like "meem".. i always thought someone just had some sort of spelling error and then it just got copied everywhere.
Love the book swap idea and I think the shower email thing is hilarious, only because you either have your computer in the shower (not likely) or you have a way better memory than me, I'd get out and forget what I was working on :)

Shonda said...

Yea! Thank you, Melanie! This was my first to tag, too. There must be some inner urge for us to share our quirks for us both to succumb to the power of the meme. And about that word...I always say meme with a short e in the middle, silent e on the end. I don't know why and I know what I just described doesn't follow any phonics rule at all, but there ya go!