Monday, March 9, 2015

My Grandma - Part 3

I am finally posting the rest of the story about my grandma.  Here is part 1 and part 2.

Even as we all grew older, Grandma was always there for us. Eventually, she and Grandpa moved to an apartment in an assisted living center where they could ride their motorized "jazzy" scooters down the hall to lunch or to the hairdresser. We still stopped to see them on our trips to and from Utah and although we didn't spend the night or swim in their pool, the kids sometimes took a quick spin on a jazzy!

Grandpa in his jazzy

In 2008, Grandpa passed away, but Grandma was still going strong. She even took a few trips to California and was able to join us for Christmas. Awhile after my mom passed away, my Grandma went to live with my Aunt Muff and Uncle Paul in Utah. They built a special addition to their home just for Grandma. Now we had a bonus!  We got to visit Grandma AND Muff and Paul. In January 2012 we got to celebrate Grandma's 90th Birthday and I was able to make a photo book of the event. My cousin Heather gathered memories from many of Grandma's children, grandchildren and great-grands. I put them in the photo book along with pictures from the party. It was fun making the book and I knew that Grandma cherished it.  Grandma loved her posterity and could always tell you how many grandchildren she had and who was expecting the newest addition to the family.




In the summer of 2014, Grandma went to live at a lovely assisted living center just a mile from my Aunt's house. One day in September, I had the strongest feeling that I needed to go visit my Grandma as soon as possible. I called my sister and asked her if she wanted to join me and she immediately agreed. Between our busy schedules, it wasn't easy to find a time to travel, but we managed to squeeze in a few days the next week. A couple of days later, Aunt Muff called to tell me that Grandma had suffered a stroke. My brother David and his wife Annie flew to Utah to be with Grandma. After talking to them, I worried that we might not make it in time to see Grandma! Fortunately Annie is a nurse, and she must have used all her talents on Grandma because she was doing a little better by the time we arrived.

No comments: