When I was a little girl, we lived in a split level house in Des Moines, Iowa. It was a great house for a party because it had so many different "spaces." If my parents had friends over for a dinner party, the kids could be down in the family room or even the basement. For kids' parties, there was a screened porch on the back of the house. My brother Scott and I had several birthday parties in that house, but my favorite party was hosted by my parents. It was a backwards party. I remember my mom thinking of all the different things they could do backwards. Everyone was encouraged to wear their clothes backwards. They had dessert first, followed by the main course and then appetizers. Guests were greeted at the door with a cheery, "goodbye!" I think the table was even set backwards. My mom had a lot of fun planning it, and I was thrilled to be included in her preparations.
Another time, I wanted to do something to raise money for Muscular Dystrophy. My mom helped me organize quite a party. We hosted a backyard carnival complete with games and prizes. We invited our friends and neighbors to join us under the crab apple tree for a fun afternoon. Of course, they needed to buy tickets to play the games and all the money went to the MDA. I am sure the amount we raised was fairly small, but I really don't remember. I will never forget how much time my mom spent helping me prepare for the carnival!
As a teenager, my mom encouraged my brother Scott and I to have occasional parties with our friends. She always made sure there was plenty of good food and helped us come up with fun games to play and movies to watch. I think she was often more excited about the parties than we were! She threw me a Sweet Sixteen birthday party and I remember how beautiful the cake was with big roses. We almost always had homemade cakes, so having a large, professionally decorated cake was a big deal to me.
My mom and Marianne had a special bond with their shared love of party planning. One time we were on a car trip together and Mom started discussing her funeral with Marianne. I told her that was too morbid and to stop talking about it, but she insisted. She said that Marianne was the only one she could trust to follow through with her plans. She said she wanted a celebration at her funeral. I told her I didn't want to talk about it and refused to be part of the conversation, but I had to listen since we were all in the car together! Mom said she knew the family would insist on a traditional funeral and that was fine, but that she wanted a party afterwards with balloons and Peanut M&Ms. She wanted everyone to have fun and not be sad.
The conversation was nearly forgotten, but when my mom passed away about five years later, Marianne reminded us that Grandma wanted a celebration at her funeral. And so we had one. After the funeral services in the church chapel, we had a luncheon. The cultural hall was decorated with balloons and many beautiful quilts my mom made. Every table had a bowl of M&M's and we had wonderful food provided by members of her ward. We sang a few fun songs together and shared a few stories and memories. After the graveside services, we had a balloon release. My cousin Kristen took lots of wonderful photos that you can see HERE. My mom was definitely there with us. She never would have missed such a great party!
| Mom and Dad in 1974 or 1975 - Doesn't she look ready to party in that dress?! |
1 comment:
love this post! I had no idea your mom was a party animal! I love the backwards party idea.
Post a Comment