Some view sleep as a luxury, others as a necessary evil. Although we didn't mind missing a few hours of sleep during our vacation, sleep is important in our home. In fact, getting enough sleep is part of our family culture. We rarely stay up late and we often ask each other, "How did you sleep?" We want to make sure everyone gets enough rest.
My first two babies were champion sleepers. I heard stories of sleepless nights with babies and I couldn't figure out what was wrong with those mothers. My kids slept through the night from the time they were around a month old. I had it all figured out. Then Marianne came along. She struggled with sleep from the very beginning. Maybe my good sleepers hadn't been the result of my superior mothering! I often resorted to taking Marianne for drives to get her to sleep. She didn't sleep through the night until she was 19 months old, just after Evan was born. It was a gift from a merciful God. Evan was a better sleeper, but was still waking up multiple times in the night at 18 months. We finally staged an intervention over Thanksgiving when John had some time off.
Since Marianne was born 16 years ago, I have read many books about getting your baby to sleep. There are so many different theories and techniques. The experts all seem to know what will work. Except when it doesn't. I have come to the conclusion that there isn't any method that will work for every child. Each baby is different and so is every mother.
As an
I am grateful for the hours Lavender and I have spent together rocking, singing, patting and nursing. Even if it meant I got a little less sleep. Like an all expenses paid trip to Italy, her babyhood is a once in a lifetime experience.
No comments:
Post a Comment