Monday, August 13, 2012

Trip to Utah - Bonus: Nordstrom



This isn't part 4 of our trip it just a little bonus I wanted to share.  One afternoon while we were in Utah, the guys went golfing, the girls went to City Creek mall in Salt Lake.  You tell me who made the better choice?  If you have any doubt, I suggest you remember two letters that are very important in the summertime:  A/C!  While we didn't buy anything at Nordstom, we were very excited to see a fabulous work of art by our niece Jennifer Rasmusson.  Jenny is the oldest daughter of John's sister Jean.  The painting is called "Current Reflection" and I love it.  You can see more of Jenny's work HERE.

Marianne wasn't surprised that I didn't buy anything at Nordstrom.  My kids probably think that I have never shopped at Nordstrom. They would be surprised to know that the Nordstrom employees once knew me by name.  Yes, it's true.  I was once a serious Nordstrom shopper.  I used to get a personal phone call when there was a sale or when something new that was "my style" arrived. 

These days I am not much of a shopper.  I buy my clothes at Costco, Kohl's or Old Navy.  But once upon a time, I loved shopping at Nordstom.  Starting the summer after sixth grade, I worked at my dad's temporary employment agency.  During high school I worked full time in the summer and part time during the school year.  During my senior year, I got out of school at noon and went to work for the rest of the day.  I actually got school credit for "work experience."  I had excellent grades and plenty of credits, so I didn't care about getting credit for working.  I did care about earning money and I was able to save enough to pay for much of my college expenses.  I also had enough extra that I could afford to shop at Nordstrom.  I still remember a beautiful ivory linen suit that I bought there. 

Do I miss being a Nordstrom shopper?  Well,  I miss the personal service I received and the high quality clothes I purchased.  But I have never regretted giving up my career to give my full time and attention to my children.  Now I could shop at Nordstrom regularly if I really wanted to.  But I'd rather save for travel and other experiences with my husband and children.  Besides, a Nordstrom Rack opens next month just a few miles from my house!

4 comments:

Bryn said...

I prefer experiences over clothes any time.
That is a fun story about you! I love it.
I went to City Creek and I thought it was so pretty. Could you tell if that ceiling would close up for winter? Is that what it is supposed to do? Did you see the Temple Square apples in Rocky Mtn Chocolate place? I just loved that mall. The little boys got the biggest kick out of tracking the animals and finding fish. We will be back! You so made the better choice! It was so hot!

Shonda said...

That made me giggle! I was in retail for years and was also a Nordstrom shopper (and eater-I had lunch there every day!). I also got the phone calls when something came in that I might like, only my calls were from Ann Taylor. :) Alas, now I have the frumpy Mom uniform perfected.

jessica said...

Bryn said it best. You can't take clothes with you in the end and you can't have them forever, but the time spent with your children and the extra experiences had make walking past some of those outfits easy:)...okay maybe some are harder to walk past than others;)

ferntyler said...

Fun story to learn about you - I'll see you at the Rack :)