Thursday, August 9, 2012

So Far Away

Did you know that John and I have never had our whole family together?  Aaron left on his mission while I was pregnant with Lavender, so of course they've never met.  I am really looking forward to our 2013 family Christmas photo!

During the past week while Marianne has been in Ecuador, it has been strange to think that two of our children are so far away from home.  It makes me feel a bit scattered, but I am grateful for the opportunities that both of them have to serve and grow.

I got an email from Marianne this morning.  She said they are planning to de-flea their bedroom this afternoon.  Those are words I never expected to hear from my daughter--at least not without wailing and gnashing of teeth!

She has worked several shifts in the orphanage and also at a rural daycare facility.  She has also gotten to shop, go to church, feel homesick, travel to the beach, zipline and see the sights!  She fed a bottle to a baby girl with lots of dark hair just about Lavender's age.  She couldn't imagine her own little sister being placed in an orphanage.

Here are a couple of photos.  Sorry there are none of her with the children, but they are not allowed to take any pictures in the orphanage.



Aaron has been in Canada for seven months now.  He is still in Toronto, still in the same branch, still with his MTC companion.  Good thing he is content with constancy!  The work is slow among the Korean people.  They have had one baptism since he has been there.  Aaron was able to confirm "Rocky."  They talk to many North Koreans and meet people from all over the world.  He and his companion have been surviving the summer heat by fixing their leaking air conditioning unit and eating cold cereal for dinner.

Here are a couple of photos of Elder Aaron.



It is exciting to see my children travel to places I have never been and do things I have never done. Yes, there are challenges, illnesses and difficulties.  Hopefully these will prepare them well for the journey of life that lies ahead .  I know the Lord has great things in store for each of them.

No comments: