Sunday, May 6, 2012

Success?

Even though Lavender is my first baby in 14 years, things haven't changed too much.  Babies still love to eat, sleep and be held.  They still go through a lot of diapers.

A few things have changed though.   When Ryan was a baby, the experts said that babies should sleep on their stomachs.  We were assured it was safest in case the baby spit up.  Just two years later when Aaron was born, my doctor told me that he needed to sleep on his side.  What a joke!  The baby wedges or rolled blankets didn't work very well.  Just before Marianne was born, they came out with the "back to sleep" campaign.

Now everyone knows that babies are supposed to sleep on their backs.  It really has made a difference as SIDS rates have decreased by 50%.  Now babies are supposed to have "tummy time" every day.  This was new for me.  I have tried it with Lavender, but she cried and hated it.  I did some research and found that babies who don't do tummy time are often delayed at rolling, sitting and may skipping crawling all together.  I  do want her to crawl because I believe it is beneficial for coordination and brain development.

So I have been investigating some ways to make tummy time more enjoyable.  We are trying books and mirrors and today we laid her on a little boppy type pillow.  She didn't cry and seemed happy.  At last we found something that worked!  When I looked at her two minutes later I realized why she was so quiet.


She was sound asleep!  So much for that plan.  I guess we'll keep trying!

4 comments:

ferntyler said...

hilarious! Just when you come up with a plan, they find a way to tweak it to their own liking ;)

Bryn said...

hahaha!That's how I feel! Lavendar, you are a sweet doll!

Holly said...

I was worried because I had also heard crawling was important to brain development and a child's ability to learn to read. I didn't give Nicholas enough tummy time and he skipped crawling and was walking at 9 months. He's turned out to be my most athletic child and quite possibly my most intelligent. On the flip side my mom said I didn't crawl either, and there are key moments when I blame my lack of intellect on that.

jessica said...

She looks good to me:)