To clarify further, hospice doesn't mean that someone (other than us) is there to care for my mom. It just means that a nurse comes by once or twice a week. They did prescribe several medications that have definitely made my mom more comfortable. They also gave us a thick binder that they said was full of important information. I looked through the entire thing and except for the phone number on the front, I couldn't find anything useful. I did get a kick out of the "home health" page that had helpful suggestions such as "each person should have their own toothbrush." Even more ridiculous was the page on "how to recognize when the patient has passed away." Seriously?! I hope no one needs instructions to figure that one out.
All that aside, we have all been grateful that Mom is home. It has been more peaceful for her and much less stressful on the rest of us. The hospital is a difficult place to sleep, rest or find any peace.
We were able to watch General Conference together as a family and spend time with Mom. We know that our time together is very short and are grateful for these moments.
This photo was taken in May, and I never would have imagined I had just a few short months left with my Mom.
2 comments:
Melanie - I'm thinking of you & your family today & have been over these past several weeks. Sending you hugs and love at such a very hard time!
My dad was under hospice care for the last few months of his life. When he did die, I was at peace. I had said all that I needed to say to him prior to his passing, however, it still hurt. I laugh quite a bit more now than closer to his death. My dad lived a good life and my mom still enjoys life.
Post a Comment