Last Wednesday we were told that my Mom has a brain tumor from which she will not recover.
On Thursday we gathered most of the family in my mom's hospital room. Mom had been asleep for nearly 72 hours and we all took turns kissing her and telling her we loved her. There were many tears shed. Then we quieted down so that Mom could receive a priesthood blessing. It was a lovely blessing that made us cry even more.
About 20 minutes later, a miracle occurred. Mom woke up and began talking to us! We spent several hours laughing, talking and singing together. We sang songs that my mom learned from her grandpa and other songs from our childhood. It was a beautiful time for our family and will always be a wonderful memory.
During her illness, my mom has continually expressed her love for our family. When we mention a particular family member, Mom repeats over and over how much she loves them. It has been especially sweet to hear her talk about my dad, whom she has taken to calling "Bobby", a nickname she hasn't used in over 50 years. She even began singing a little song to him. I asked her if it was a song from their dating years. She said, "Yes, but it was about a different boy and I can't say his name because I don't love him. I love Bobby!"
I did a little googling and came up with the original version of the song. It was actually written in answer to a song called "Tell Laura I Love Her" . The songs came out in 1960 when my mom was 18. So here's the link to "Tell Tommy I Miss Him"
Just be sure to substitute "Bobby" if you sing along.
5 comments:
What a sweet time to spend together. You are in our prayers.
I sure love you Melanie. My thoughts are constantly with you right now. I know how hard this time is. How thankful we are for our perspective. Be strong.
I'm so glad your family could be gathered for this. Being together is a great way to draw strength. We are praying for you!
Oh, Melanie. I'm so sorry and so grateful you are being given such tender mercies right now. Prayers and hugs!
We were all very sad to hear the news about your mom. Your family is in our thoughts and prayers. We send our love to all of you. That is a very sweet story and I am glad you have had a chance to share some time with your mom.
Post a Comment