Do you like scary movies and books?
I don't.
And I'm definitely not into vampires.
I've never read any of the Twilight series or seen the movies.
But thanks to my sweet husband, our extended family
had a great time last night at Copley Hall
watching the world's first Dracula movie!
It was a silent movie first shown in Germany in 1922
and because it was an unauthorized version of Bram Stoker's Dracula
they changed the name to
"Nosferatu."
And I'm definitely not into vampires.
I've never read any of the Twilight series or seen the movies.
But thanks to my sweet husband, our extended family
had a great time last night at Copley Hall
watching the world's first Dracula movie!
It was a silent movie first shown in Germany in 1922
and because it was an unauthorized version of Bram Stoker's Dracula
they changed the name to
"Nosferatu."

This vampire was definitely not the handsome type.
In fact he was pretty creepy.
He reminded me of a rat with his big ears, skinny teeth and claw-like hands.
But one aspect of Nosferatu was gorgeous-- the music!
The San Diego Symphony accompanied the movie.
The conductor and arranger spent 8 months reconstructing the score from the original musical accompaniment. And the results were awesome!

I thoroughly enjoyed the performance, but Bram
Stoker's widow didn't feel quite the same way.
She was upset that the movie producers had "borrowed" her husband's story and she successfully sued for copyright infringement. She didn't receive monetary damages, but instead had the negatives and all copies of the film destroyed. Fortunately, a few copies survived.
Interestingly, Mrs. Stoker wanted to "clean up" the hairy, evil monster of her husband's book and the film version. In future stage and screen productions, Florence Stoker authorized a santitized, well bred, gentlemanlike Dracula.
Ah, now we now who to thank for Twilight!
Stoker's widow didn't feel quite the same way.
She was upset that the movie producers had "borrowed" her husband's story and she successfully sued for copyright infringement. She didn't receive monetary damages, but instead had the negatives and all copies of the film destroyed. Fortunately, a few copies survived.
Interestingly, Mrs. Stoker wanted to "clean up" the hairy, evil monster of her husband's book and the film version. In future stage and screen productions, Florence Stoker authorized a santitized, well bred, gentlemanlike Dracula.
Ah, now we now who to thank for Twilight!
1 comment:
I hate Vampires too. They are just gross! I have never read or watched any of the Twilight books or movies and really don't ever want to. Because really, there are so many other good things to read or watch, why that stuff. Why not read good classic things like Shakespeare or Narnia? One time a friend and I read the first 2 pages of twilight together and decided it was definitely not worth reading. It sounds like you had fun though! I think it would be neat to go and see something like that.
Post a Comment