
Why read the scriptures to the kids? They don't really understand and they're not listening anyway!
“Some may think that the language of the scriptures is too difficult for children, but … [w]e need to remember that the Lord has given children faculties for learning language even greater than those of adults."
"The scriptures can be a complete education, as has been shown by those in the past who truly educated themselves from the scriptures when they had no other education. But all of us can get something if we will be read the scriptures. And, indeed, by reading the scriptures thoroughly, we can get a better education than we can in any other way."
Why do I have to read my kids the same books over and over? It's driving me crazy!
“It is good for children to hear their favorite passages of scripture, and their other favorite stories, too, over and over. We should not bring up our children to respond to the exciting, the thrilling. They are a titillation of the nerves. To be moved is one thing; to be excited or titillated, a very different thing. If we bring up our children always to be wanting something new, they will have to have a stronger [and stronger] stimulus each time until they finally [burst]. But if we inure our children to stability, to repetition, to normal life, then they will live decent lives”
Questions by Melanie
Answers by Arthur Henry King who would have turned 100 years old today. He's one of my heroes and he wrote this awesome book.
4 comments:
Good to see you back in the blogging world:) This is a great post and something I always need a reminder on. Also, congrats to your boy on the BYU!! Very exciting!
That first question? I just asked to myself yesterday...and the day before...
I'm so glad you're back, Melanie! I love your posts. By the way, thank you so much for leading the Mentor Conference Call last week. It was an excellent article and a really good call. I freeze up on the phone, but enjoyed what the others were sharing very much. :)
This is exactly why we need your posts. Thanks!
Post a Comment