Sunday, November 24, 2013

Work

Evan gave a talk in church today.  His subject was "work" and he did a great job! Here is the text of his talk:

What do you think of when you hear the word work? Many people view work as a negative thing. Do you? If you find yourself thinking of work negatively, remember what Elder D. Todd Christofferson said about work and maybe it will help you see it differently. He said, 
By work we sustain and enrich life. It enables us to survive the disappointments and tragedies of the mortal experience. Hard-earned achievement brings a sense of self-worth. Work builds and refines character, creates beauty, and is the instrument of our service to one another and to God.
I’m 15 year old boy so I know that doing work can be hard sometimes. But I also know how rewarding true work can be. I have found that when I am working toward something that is important to me, I have a much better attitude toward work and I see work as a good thing. 

Last year I wanted to have a garden. I had a good area on the side of my house, but it was filled with a LOT of weeds. I spent hours digging and pulling the weeds until I had finally cleared the area. I then leveled the ground and spent even more time building the raised garden beds out of bricks and cement blocks. I filled them with dirt that I hauled from a neighbor’s house and planted the things I wanted to plant.  Throughout the rest of that spring, I worked very hard keeping the plants alive and then harvesting them. I never complained about the hard work or even thought about stopping because I was working towards something I wanted and so the attitude I had about the work was positive. 

I have learned to try to have this same attitude towards work even when I’m not excited about doing it. When my parents ask me to help clean the garage I’m not very happy about it, but when I think of how I’m helping them and keeping our home clean I am more motivated. When I succeed in seeing work as a positive thing, I am able to see it’s benefit and make the work I’m doing important to me and more enjoyable.

Through my life so far I’ve also learned that while work is important, we also need to take time to relax and rejuvenate.  Elder Chistofferson also said, “Just as honest toil gives rest its sweetness, wholesome recreation is the friend and steadying companion of work. Music, literature, art, dance, drama, athletics—all can provide entertainment to enrich one’s life and further consecrate it.” There is always a time for work and play. But, if there is imbalance between the two, it can cause problems, which is why we need to know our Priorities and do the things that are the most important for us.


We have to work here on earth very hard to progress as far as we can, that way we will be one step closer to perfection when we go into the next life.  Learning to work now will also help prepare us for our eternal responsibilities. 

One example of someone who has taught me to work hard is my Grandpa Emerson. He was a very hard worker. To support his family he worked two jobs for 17 years. During the day he worked at the post office, and in the evening he worked cleaning the bank. He often took one of his children to the bank while he cleaned to, spend time with them and to be an example to them so they would work hard. This must have been very hard for him, but I’m glad that he did this because he was able support his family and teach me the importance of hard work. 

In D&C 75 it says, “Behold, I say unto you that it is my will that you should go forth and not tarry, neither be idle but labor with your might. And thus, if ye are faithful ye shall be laden with many sheaves, and crowned with honor, and glory, and immortality, and eternal life.” 

He bore his testimony and closed in the name of Jesus Christ.

No comments: