Thursday, May 9, 2013

Family Reunion

As a little girl, I knew that my parents came from very different families.  My mom had a huge extended family just a few generations removed from handcart pioneers.  They held big family reunions and published family history books.  My dad had a very small family and we didn't know too much about them.  Several years ago, my dad was able to make contact with his half-siblings that he hadn't seen or heard from in many years.  He was especially touched when his brother Dan and his sister Cheryl came all the way from Minnesota for my mom's funeral.

Last weekend Dan made another trip to southern California and this time he brought his wife Karen.  It was wonderful to spend some time with them and get to know them better. On Saturday we all got together for a visit to La Jolla Cove.  Even though it was a little chilly for the rest of us, it didn't feel cold to Dan and Karen and they were happy to be on the beach enjoying the waves and the sand.



I was having so much fun visiting with them and taking pictures, that I didn't notice my flip flop was headed out with the tide.  Fortunately, Cammi grabbed it for me!


I think my dad and Dan look alike, but I couldn't believe how much Dan's sense of humor and personality reminded me of my dad.  Dan is about 17 years younger than my  dad--the same age difference between me and my youngest brother David.


Next the family went to explore the tide pools.  Molly and I didn't go down.  We stayed with the strollers, thinking the little girls could play on the grass.


    Instead, they wanted to play in the dirt and climb trees.  But they had a great time getting dirty!



Lavender was following this seagull and was surprised when he flew away.


Evan got in some good unicycling, but our game of frisbee was cut short when the frisbee went flying over the cliff and into the ocean.  Not even Cammi could get that one back for us.  Later, most of the adults went out for Thai food.  We had so much fun laughing and talking and eating.  I haven't had such a fun dinner in quite awhile!

On Sunday, my dad, Dan and Karen did a bit of sightseeing and then joined us for the Cinco de Mayo dinner I told you about in my last post.  We are so glad they came to visit!  They are such lovely people and it was a treat to have them here.  Dad's side of the family seems to be growing bigger and better!

1 comment:

cheryl from Mn said...

Wow! Sounds like you all had a wonderful time! Who is that great looking couple standing in the water with sunglasses? :)