Friday, April 5, 2013

Silver Lining to a Rough Day


Today has been a bit of a rough day with Lavender.  She is teething and has been crying and wanting to be held most of the day.  Finally, she wandered off and was playing contentedly.  Then I discovered that she was keeping busy by pouring a bottle of soy sauce on the kitchen floor.` When I called the kids in to see it, she threw herself down for a tantrum.



After the mess was cleaned up (thanks to Evan and Marianne) and our mini-monster was nursing peacefully, I found this poem on my phone.  I wrote it several weeks ago, but never posted it because I wasn't satisfied with it.  Today, it seems perfect.  At least compared to crying, messes and tantrums! 



Moving Out

Exactly one month ago 
She took her first steps.
Now she walks,
Almost running 
Ready to take on the world.

She listens and points at
Airplanes and birds
Dogs and motorcycles
Or the front door creaking
When her family comes home.

She enthusiastically tastes
Homemade green smoothies
Dandelions and rocks
Crayons and birdseed
Testing her tiny new teeth.

She  waves and shouts
"Hi" over and over
To our friends at church
A neighbor walking his dog
And the homeless man at the park.

She climbs with gusto
Up the stairs or footstool
Over daddy in search of his phone
Bouncing onto the trampoline
Into our arms for a snuggle.

She explores and discovers
Each exotic location
Like a world traveler
Observing the locals
And learning their ways.

We follow behind,
Savoring each moment 
In our hearts and with our camera
From a watchful, yet
Ever increasing distance.

Taken the day I wrote this poem.
She figured out how to pull the string on this bunny using her teeth!

1 comment:

ferntyler said...

That poem is beautiful!!