Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Lavender

Flu season
The doctor warned
As he washed his hands

Wait a few more weeks
My friend (a nurse)
Advised

So I stay home
Keeping her safe
Avoiding germs

Reasons
That make sense
But not quite true

I had her all to myself
For nine months
Mine alone

Now I share her
With daddy
And family I love

But not
With the world
Not yet

She is too precious
And tender
Even sacred

Still connected
To my flesh
And my spirit

A part of me
I am not ready to share
Our souls intertwined

Sent to me
As a gift
A healing balm

Someday
Her gifts will bless the world
Today she blesses me


4 comments:

Kristin said...

beautiful words beautiful baby! I have been finishing up her gift today!

Shonda said...

(happy cry)

Laura said...

You are amazing in every way!

Annalisa said...

lovely. i didn't take linc out for 8 weeks during utah's winter...and he's only had 3 colds since, he's nine now. so i know the blessings of taking doctor's orders and staying away from the world of germs for those first weeks.