Friday, August 7, 2009

The Perfect Birthday

Quick! What's the first word that comes to your mind when you think of "birthdays"?

Is it . . .
party
cake
presents
balloons?

I just had a wonderful birthday celebration and it didn't involve any of the above! My husband took me along while he worked in Palm Springs. Here are some of the delightful things I did:
  • devoured an entire book about Shakespearean acting while sitting in Borders.
  • relaxed during the most amazing pedicure of my life--it lasted 90 minutes!
  • saved my husband so much money by heading back to Borders to find some fantastic books in the $1.00 section!
  • savored Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Macadamia and Coconut Seven Layer Bar (I was devastated recently when I awoke from a dream just as I was about to take a big lick of coconut ice cream. This time my dream came true!)
  • listened to a steel drum by moonlight while holding my husband's hand
  • ate fresh cherries and chocolate for breakfast
  • dived into Galway Kinnell's poems in Strong Is Your Hold.
  • crawled back in bed at 10:30 AM and slept for an hour!
It was the most peaceful birthday celebration of my life. Aaaahh!

10 comments:

Bryn said...

Heaven... Happy Birthday! Enjoy!

Stefany said...

How cool - Happy Birthday!

Kim W said...

Sounds fabulous! Happy Birthday!!!

jessica said...

What a fantastic birthday! Happy, happy birthday!

Amber said...

Nothing better than doing just what YOU want on your birthday. Good for you...sounds fabulous!

Maren said...

Yeah, that sounds pretty much wonderful. Isn't it amazing how your ideas of perfection change over time? Happy belated birthday!

Kristy said...

Happy Birthday! I am glad it was so relaxing.

Shonda said...

Happy birthday from one Leo to another!!! I'm glad you had a perfect pedicure! It sounds wonderful!

Kristin said...

My birthday is at the end of the month and i am going to send him this post next time he asks me what i want for my birthdy!!

Happy Birthday by the way!!

ferntyler said...

That sounds divine - we just went to Palm Springs for fun, but it was definitely not quite as relaxing - Happy Belated Bday