Friday, February 20, 2009

Worth Waiting For!

This post has been awhile in the making.

You might say I've been working on it since Monday . . .

or I guess you could say it's taken a whole year . . .

but really I've needed almost 22 years to prepare for this moment.

Because this is the time for me to wish my great husband

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

This birthday wish has been in the making . . .

Since Monday,

Because his birthday was actually on Monday. Unfortunately, I spent most of this week sick in bed. I was so sick that he didn't get a present or even a card from me. But he's such a low-maintenance kind of guy that he didn't mind a bit. Fortunately, Evan got up early to make his Dad a special breakfast and Marianne made some of her wonderful cupcakes for him. I still need to make it up to him. I am planning to take him shopping tonight!

For a year,

Because I've had my blog for just over a year. One of my first posts was about John's birthday last year. This is actually my 100th post and it's only fitting that it is about the most important person in my life!

For almost 22 years,

Because that's how long we've been married. He was a great guy when I married him. Everyone thought so! In fact, John worked in Atlanta during a summer internship. He was in the same ward with one of my roommates who was home for the summer. Her parents fell in love with John and were very disappointed that their daughter didn't feel the same way. They held out hope that they could snag him for a son-in-law one way or another. When my roommate got back to BYU, they insisted that she introduce John to her older sister. It was a very awkward meeting which I got to witness because she brought me along for moral support! Even after we got married, my friend's parents continued to lament over the great catch that got away!

I am pleased to report that John is even more wonderful that he was 22 years ago. Now besides being a great husband he is also a fabulous father and a superb son-in-law.

If you need proof, here are a couple of pictures I love of John. They both show what a hard worker he is!


Here he is working with my Dad on Aaron's Eagle Scout Project. My Dad has such love and respect for John that he often gets teary while talking about him.


This is another picture that shows John smiling, laughing and having a good time while he works. He usually has such a positive, outgoing attitude and he is a great example to our sons and to all the young men he has worked with over the years.

I am very grateful to have such a wonderful, patient husband!

3 comments:

Kim W said...

What a sweet tribute! Happy Birthday!

LaRae said...

Happy belated birthday John! John is a great guy who has an amazing wife! :) Wonderful post - worth waiting for. Glad you're feeling better, Melanie! I am also impressed that Evan made his dad a birthday breakfast & Marianne made him cupcakes, which I'm sure were quite gourmet.

Anonymous said...

Love that John! Grateful he's still in our family picture.