"Have you started school yet?"
This time of year I am asked this question quite often, and I'm never sure how to answer.
Our homeschool life just doesn't fit into that big "First Day of School" mode.
Aaron's math class has continued all summer
Seminary started this week
Our Scholar Projects start next week
Math, Art and History Club start on Sept 8th
Our Young Statesman Club & Young Stateswoman Society start mid September
I traveled throughout the summer teaching and attending trainings.
Our reading, learning & discussions are just part of life and we don't stop or start by the calendar.
Was today a "school day"?
I'm not sure, but we learned a lot and had a great time!
Thanks to free passes from our friends, Marianne, Evan & I went to the San Diego Zoo. I was worried it would be packed for the start of Labor Day weekend. Amazingly, it wasn't crowded and we were able to enjoy some of our favorite spots.
We love this peaceful little garden with the pond and waterfall. Evan loved watching the turtles and the colorful koi and Marianne took this great picture of one of the locals.
The Polar Bears were the more active and playful than I've ever seen them. They were jumping, diving & playing with their food. It is amazing how graceful those huge animals look in the water.
I love seeing all the plants and gardens at the zoo. This plant is a great combination of delicate blossoms and big thorns. Evan wondered if this could be a safety issue for zoo guests. If you look closely you'll even see a spider in the picture.
The Reptile House is another favorite place at the zoo. It's always nice and cool inside! Isn't this Burmese Python beautiful? It is incredible to be so close to such powerful and/or venomous creatures and yet know that they are safely behind glass. (Well, as long as Harry Potter isn't around)
I love the Sky Ride, but I hate waiting in line. Usually we ride it once across the zoo and then walk back, but today we rode it 6 times in a row. The views of the zoo and Balboa Park are gorgeous and the fresh breeze is wonderful.

3 comments:
Melanie-
Sooo good to hear about all your goings on! I love your life too!Fond memories!
A couple of comments about your zoo trip:
1-The red flowered plant you showed goes by the common name of "crown of thorns"- It would certainly make a mean one!
2- Years ago, before we homeschooled, I had a dream that I was sitting at the WAP, out by the giraffes, watching my children. Some were running around, some were drawing. After we started homeschooling, we had passes to the WAP, and would go there occasionally. We started to take our nature notebooks, and sketch-- on day I realized... I was living my dream!!
Thanks for jogging such happy memories!--Carla
(I'll have to be "anonymous" I can't remember my id info!
that is SO awesome! If I could do that every day for home schooling, I could probably do it :) You should totally get passes, it is the best deal in SD :) what a fun day of learning!
i have so much admiration for mother's who can homeschool! i wish i had the patience for it.
Post a Comment