Sunday, March 2, 2008

Happy Birthday Evan!

I can't believe my baby is 10 years old!
He was the cutest little guy and he's still cute now, only I'm not allowed to say that. He's cool now, so I've included a very cool picture of him below.

Evan was a very sweet, easy-going baby! When he was 4 months old, John had to work at a convention in New Orleans and he took Evan and me along. Some of my other babies were difficult to travel with, but not Evan. He smiled during the flight, happily went along on a walking tour of historic homes, went in and out of taxi cabs and never made a fuss during all of our site-seeing.

New Orleans has some fabulous restaurants and Evan came along to them all.
We even went to a very ritzy place called "Commander's Palace" The food was amazing and waiters were everywhere, ready to attend to our every need.

When we arrived with an infant in tow, the maitre d' glared at us and everyone stared as we walked to our table. As expected, Evan was a perfect angel! By the time we left everyone was admiring Evan and smiling at him.

Here he is at his coolest.


John took Evan and a couple of his buddies hiking to celebrate his birthday.

Aaron started a tradition that Evan loves--making your own birthday cake. Here he is getting the batter ready. Notice he's already sampled some.


Concentrating as he puts on the ocean blue frosting. It will be the perfect background for the turtles and fish he's using to decorate his cake.

If only we could get him to write this neatly all of the time!


The birthday boy and the finished product!


Happy Birthday Evan! We love you!

8 comments:

LaRae said...

Evan - I am very impressed with your birthday cake making capabilities. Looks like you had a very cool birthday! As my Aunt Jody used to tell me decades ago - "Now you're a ten-ager"!

ferntyler said...

I like the idea of making their own cakes (and i'm not just saying that because I find it extremely stressful to make a really cute cake for everyone's birthdays). I love how Evan looks just like he did when he was a baby...

Kristin said...

Melanie, I hope this works, the last few comments i have left on other blogs as well as yours are not showing up. I left a comment on your cookie post and it's not there!?! Anyway, glad you found me and now we can keep in touch and not just see each other 1 or 2 times a year!!!

Melanie said...

It worked Kristin! I'm so glad you found my blog. I showed Evan Brett's birthday post. Hope he's feeling better now!

Melanie said...

LaRae, I remember Aunt Jody saying that, but I had completely forgotten!

dawnae said...

Wow I am so impressed that he made his own cake!!! He did an excellent job too! I love those easy babies. Belle was like that...........I am praying this baby boy will be like your Evan! Happy birthday Evan, and I am so impressed with your cake...you just might have a future there.

ps....totally off topic, I heard a blurb today that Cal. made homeschooling illegal? Is that really true?

Melanie said...

Dawnae,
Last week there was an appellate court ruling against a homeschool family, but no laws have changed in CA. The story hit the LA Times today, so it is big news. But homeschooling is not suddenly illegal. It is media hype.

dawnae said...

Thank goodness, and I thought so, it really seems like a violation against human rights to have a law like that in America!